The University of Design Schwäbisch Gmünd believes in a modern education while respecting its long tradition. Its success is based on its ability to initiate continuous and well-considered change. The HfG Schwäbisch Gmünd draws its design force from this blending of continuity and the influences of scientific, societal, and economic developments.
The roots of the University go back to the year 1776, in which the first precursor institution, a school of drawing, was founded. The concepts of the Bauhaus and the former Hochschule für Gestaltung Ulm now influence the educational ideas of the renowned course in the foundations of design at the HfG Schwäbisch Gmünd.
HfG history in figures
Expansion of the Interaction Design course with two intakes per year in both summer and winter semesters.
The renovation of Martin Elsässer’s listed building in Rektor Klaus Strasse starts with the move into temporary accommodation in the Gmünd-Tech building in Marie Curie Strasse.
The MA Product Planning and Design course begins.
Introduction of the BA course Interaction Design, with an annual intake in the summer semester.
The College becomes known as the University of Applied Sciences (Hochschule für Gestaltung) Schwäbisch Gmünd.
Changeover from the previous Diploma courses to the new BA Communication Design and Product Design courses.
The new MA Communication Planning and Design course begins.
The curriculum is thoroughly renewed; the two overlapping courses in Information and Media Design and Product and Environmental Design now allow students to choose their own individual emphasis.
Integration of the area of New Media.
The design foundation courses form the basis for the establishment of courses in Product Design, Jewellery Design, and Visual Design.
The “College of Design” is established with Prof. Karl Dittert as its founding Rector. The educational concept, previously still with a strong artistic bias, is now oriented more towards the design concepts of the Hochschule für Gestaltung Ulm.
The “State School of Applied Arts” is established. After the previous emphasis on craft work the school now concentrated on questions of design, and designs for products are inseparably linked with graphic design.
The School became the “Higher State School for the Precious Metals Trades”. After the end of Word War 2 classes began again in October 1945, and the Class for Industrial Design was taken over by Prof. Walter Lochmüller.
Founding of the first “Class for Industrial Design” held by Prof. Walter Klein.
The School became the “Higher State School for the Precious Metals Industry”. Josef Albers, Lászlo Moholy-Nagy, Wilhelm Wagenfeld and other Bauhaus teachers visit Schwäbisch Gmünd.
The School separated from the Vocational School and on 1 April moved into a new building, designed by the architect Martin Elsässer, with an attached museum wing for the “Gmünd Special Museum”. This building is still the University’s home.
The “Royal School for the Precious Metals Industry” was established.
Founding of the School of Drawing, which in1860 was expanded into the Vocational School with its own department for Gold and Silversmiths.
The links to your pages are included in the e-mail automatically.
The University’s international programme has three aims: to establish and cultivate the exchange of students and teachers, to encourage members of the University to participate in international cooperation and research projects, and to introduce st[…]