Frequently Asked Questions

When does the semester start? When is study orientation? When are exams over?

Please see the HfG academic calendar. Please note that orientation starts one week before the official start of the academic year.

Start of winter semester 2016: 4th October 2016

Do I need a visa? What other documents do I need?

If you come from outside Europe, you should contact the embassy of your country.
As a European Citizen, you do not need a visa.
! Be careful, you will be asked to prove you have 735 euros a month to live in Germany. (bank statement required)

You will also need a German health insurance. If you come from Europe, you need the European Health Insurance card.
If you're not a European Citizen, please contact your private health insurance company or the social security organism of your country.

The first day of the induction week, 2 passport photos, a proof of health insurance, your residence permit and a receipt for Student Association contribution (45 euros) will be required.

Do you offer German as a Foreign Language course?

Yes, we do. During the induction week, you can attend 2 hours of German classes a day.
During the semester, we offer German courses one hour a week, free of charge. German courses can bring you 2 ECTS at the end of the semester.

The courses we offered are meant for beginners. If you're advanced in German, we have partnerships with the Pädagogische Hochschule Schwäbisch Gmünd or with the Volkshochschule. Please contact the international coordinator.

How many credits should I take?

A full-time semester is 30 ECTS. You should then take enough courses to make up the number of credits required by your home university.

We recommend our students to take 2 project courses (8ECTS each).

What courses can I choose? Can I take classes outside my subject area?

We have different programmes you can choose. In each programme there are compulsory courses and free options. Among those options, you can select any subject as long as the course still has free places left and is opened to international students.

All courses are submitted to the departmental coordinator for approval.

Can I get a HfG degree?

No. As an exchange student, you have not been accepted to a degree programme.

Can I extend my stay in Schwäbisch Gmünd?

If the international coordinator of your home university agrees and informs the host university with a confirmation letter and if there are enough places, then you can extend your stay at the HfG.

Do I have to take exams?

You have to take part in all courses. You're a full-time student, which means making projects with your group, presentations... If for some reasons, you're not able to take part in the exams, please inform your adviser as soon as possible.

Who could sign my certificate of arrival/departure?

Please contact the international coordinator.

When do I get a transcript of records?

At the end of the semester, a transcript of record will be automatically sent to your home university.

Where do I get help for opening a bank account or a phone line?

Before your arrival at the HfG, a buddy will contact you to help you out with different things (bank account, phone, accommodation...).

Will I get accommodation at the HfG?

There are no student residence. But the students of the HfG and the international coordinator will give you all accurate infos to find accommodation.
Please do not hesitate to join the facebook group or check different forums on the HfG website:
Facebook: rental: WG/Zimmer/Flat/Apartment HfG

What other costs should I consider?

Accommodation is around 250/350euros. Most of our students ride their bikes to go the HfG. Food is also really cheap in Germany (Aldi, Lidl, Norma...).
For some courses, you will be asked to buy some material. During the laboratory week, some workshops cost 10/15euros.

If you want to travel inside Baden-Württemberg, train tickets can be cheap, especially if you travel in group.

If you want to go outside Europe, some companies offer good prices:
from Baden-Baden airport, you can travel with ryanair. The German company germanwings could also be interesting.


means "Mentoring OSTwürttemberg – Kooperative Integration Nicht-Deutscher" and gives international students a first virtual contact point in their new study and living environment. MOST KIND offers additional language courses, an excursion programme and information about the region. Read more.

Baden-Württemberg Scholarship

If you want to apply for an exchange semester and come from a country outside of Europe and you can account for excellent academic results you may apply for a "Baden-Württemberg-Stipendium", a scholarship from the federal state of Baden-Württemberg. Read more.

Who should I contact if I need infos, have questions or problems?

Claire Garnier
Rektor-Klaus-Str. 100
73525 Schwäbisch Gmünd
Phone: +49 7171 602 633
Fax: +49 7171 692 59
Email: e-mail address

Buchstabe E
Events / Special events

The University organizes regular and special events. Dates can be found at Dates and Events.